UNIVERSITY OF KERALA
No.Ac.E.I.A2/13912/09. Dated: 15-07-2009. NOTIFICATION
Applications in the prescribed form are invited from eligible candidates for the General Aptitude Test for determining eligibility for admission to full time/part time research leading to Ph.D/M.Sc. (Engg.) by Research Degree.
Conditions of Eligibility
Candidates who have secured not less than 55% marks at the Master's Degree Examination are eligible to apply for the test.
Bachelor's Degree holders in Engineering with not less than 55% marks are eligible to apply for the test for securing eligibility for admission to M.Sc. (Engg.) by Research.
Candidates belonging to schedule castes and scheduled tribes who hold Master's Degree in Science and Applied Science faculties with at least 45% marks and Master's Degree in other faculties with 40% marks are eligible to apply for the test.
Physically/visually challenged candidates are eligible for a relaxation of 5% marks.
Candidates who have appeared for Master's Degree Examinations and whose result is still awaited may also apply for the test. However, such candidates will be considered eligible for admission to research leading to Ph.D Degree provided they pass the Master's Degree Examination with at least 55% marks and have been declared qualified in the test.
Candidates who have already qualified in the National Eligibility Test for Junior Research Fellowship or Lectureship of the UGC/CSIR or ICAR/ GATE or ICMR JRF test or candidates who are selected for fellowship by the Kerala State Council for Science, Technology & Environment or the State Level Eligibility Test conducted by the Kerala Government or who hold M.Phil. Degree by research and thesis in addition to a Master's degree or equivalent with not less than 55% marks are exempted from eligibility test.
Scientists/Engineers working in approved Research Laboratories either owned or managed by the Central/State Government or an Autonomous Research Institution of National Status with seven years experience in the Grade Scientist/Engineer, having two research papers published in the recognized research journals of the concerned subject approved by the Board of Studies concerned, are exempted from the Ph.D Eligibility Test.
College teachers who have seven or more years of teaching experience are also exempted from the Eligibility Test. Candidates with DM/M.Ch.Degree are exempted from appearing the test.
Those who have qualified in M.Phil. in subjects other than the subjects in which he/she is seeking registration for Ph.D would be required to qualify in the Eligibility Test.
Registration will be granted to the eligible candidates only if the concerned Supervising Teacher has vacant seats at the concerned Research Centres.
Only teachers of affiliated colleges and University Departments and persons engaged in research activities at research centres are eligible for part-time registration.
The Eligibility Test shall be conducted in November, the exact date of which will be notified later.
Scheme of the Test
The general aptitude test will be of three hours duration and will carry a maximum of 200 marks. The test comprises of General Knowledge (40 marks) Short answers (120 marks) and an Essay (40 marks). Post graduate level knowledge of the subject and aptitude for research are expected of the candidate
Candidates can apply only in the subjects offered by the University and go in for specialization at a later stage, while choosing the topic of research for registration for Ph.D.
While applying for the Eligibility Test the candidates should carefully choose the subject most suitable according to their qualifying P.G. Degree/choice of area of interest for doctoral research.
The subjects offered are:
1. Aquatic Biology and Fisheries
4. Bio-chemistry (including Medical Bio-chemistry)
5. Biotechnology (including Microbiology and Medical Microbiology)
9. Communication and Journalism
10. Computer Science
14. Environmental Sciences
15. Future Studies
21. Management Studies
22. Islamic Studies
24. Library and Information Science
32. Politics (including questions from Public Administration)
40. Home Science including questions from:
1. Food & Nutrition
2. Family Resource Management
3. Extension Education
42. Physical Education
43. Social Work
44. Chemical Engineering
45. Civil Engineering (inclusive of Architecture & Town Planning)
46. Computer Science & Engineering
47. Electrical and Electronics Engineering
48. Electronics and Communication Engineering
49. Mechanical Engineering
(Above Subjects applicable to M.Sc. Engineering by research also).
50. Basic Medical Sciences (Anatomy, Physiology, Pharmacology &
51. Medicine and Allied Specialties (gynecology, pediatrics, radiology,
psychiatry and general medicine)
52. Surgery and Allied Specialities (Ophthalmology, Orthopaedics & General
Aspects of Surgery)
54. Pharmaceutical Sciences
55.Dentistry(including question from:
1. Oral Pathology including Oral Anatomy & Oral Biology
4. Oral Medicine & Radiology
6. Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics
7. Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
9. Community Dentistry
Mode of Application
Candidates should apply in the prescribe form and send the applications to the Registrar. All relevant documents proving qualifications and eligibility should be sent along with the application duly signed and attested by a Gazetted Officer.
Application forms can be had from the Section Officer, Forms Section, University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram or by post.
1. The cost of application form is Rs.10/-and the fee for the test is Rs.750/-. For candidates belonging to scheduled castes and scheduled tribes the fee for the test is Rs.375/- (Rs.10/- service charge in case of DD).
2. All remittances should be made either through University Cash Receipt or Demand Draft issued by the State Bank of Travancore, State Bank of India or District Co-operative Bank drawn in favour of the Finance Officer, University of Kerala, payable at Thiruvananthapuram.
3. Requests for application forms by post should be accompanied by self addressed and sufficiently stamped envelopes. Likewise the application furnished for the examination should be accompanied by self addressed stamped and easily detachable envelope for sending hall ticket.
4. Copies of Masters Degree Certificate and Mark list attested by a Gazetted Officer should be sent along with the application. A comprehensive mark list showing the exact percentage of marks secured or an equivalent certificate should be furnished.
5. Copy of the appropriate certificate from competent authority in the case of S.C/S.T candidates, attested by a Gazetted Officer should be sent along with the application.
6. Candidates who have appeared for the Masters Degree Examination and whose results are still awaited should send a copy of Hall Ticket attested by a Gazetted Officer along with the application.
7. Candidates who have qualified post graduate examination from Universities other than University of Kerala, should submit a copy of the eligibility certificate attested by a Gazetted Officer. Pass Memo will be issued only on submission of Eligibility Certificate even if qualified in test.
8. Fee once paid will not be refunded. 9. The photograph attached to the application and Hall Ticket should be attested by a Gazetted Officer and the name and designation of the officer should be clearly shown.
The last date of receipt of application is 17 August, 2009.
Candidates should note that qualifying in the General Aptitude Test does not automatically, imply that they have been granted registration for research leading to Ph.D/M.Sc. (Engg.) Degree. Separate applications should be made for registration. The verification of the eligibility conditions with reference to the recognition of their qualifying degree and compliance of other formalities will be taken up only when the candidates apply for registration.
The University reserves the right to reject any application for proper reason adduced there with
For more details visit http://www.keralauniversity.edu
Posted by our guest writer S . If there is any content violations Report the Administrator by clicking "Report Problem".